Med-TSO is the Association of Mediterranean Transmission System Operators (TSO) for electricity, operating the High Voltage Transmission Networks of 18 Mediterranean countries. Med-TSO’s mission is to support all the institutional initiatives aiming at facilitating the creation of a Mediterranean energy market in order to develop an integrated, secure and sustainable regional electricity transmission grid.
Countries covered: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia and Mauritania
Med-TSO members share the primary objective of promoting the creation of a Mediterranean energy market, ensuring its optimal functioning through the definition of common methodologies, rules and practices for optimizing the operation of the existing infrastructures and facilitating the development of new ones.
Actions in brief
Med-TSO contributes to the achievement of this objective by promoting:
- the coordination among the Med-TSO countries of their National Transmission Network Development Plans, and of their Power System operation;
- the use of common criteria and harmonized, transparent and non-discriminatory technical rules for guaranteeing the interoperability of the interconnected Power Systems;
- training, knowledge sharing and technical assistance in the region, facilitating the exchange of information, analyses and experiences among the Associates, including the R&D sector.
- enhanced communication and consultation with stakeholders to improve TSOs operation transparency and facilitating the public acceptance of transmission infrastructures.
- the cooperation among the Mediterranean TSOs and coordinated approach towards the institutions (in particular with the association of the Mediterranean Regulators for energy, MEDREG, and the European Network of TSOs for electricity, ENTSO-E);
- the role of TSOs at regional level, analysing and taking common positions on issues that can have an impact on the development and operation of transmission systems.
Implementing partners: Energy Transmission System Operators from Greece, Montenegro, Cyprus, Egypt, Slovenia, Libya, Israel, Jordan, Morocco, Albania, Palestine, Spain, Portugal, France, Algeria, Tunisia, Turkey, ItalyPrint pdf