SWIM-H2020 SM aims to contribute to reduced marine pollution and a sustainable use of scarce water resources in the Mediterranean Region. To do so, the project will support national regulations, enhance national capacities and share best practices at the regional level.
Covered countries: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia.
The objectives of the project are the following:
- Strengthen environment management including stronger and better-enforced national regulatory and policy framework for reducing and preventing pollution of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Strengthen integrated water management, with a special focus on water cooperation, river basin management, water demand management, water-energy-food-security nexus and open access to data.
Actions in brief
The project is to:
- Organise regional trainings
- Conduct on-site training courses and study tours.
- Provide tailored and targeted technical assistance at national level.
- Support the Union for the Mediterranean, specifically on the Horizon 2020 for a cleaner Mediterranean initiative and the water agenda.
In order to achieve:
- Positive changes in the design and implementation of the relevant national policy and regulatory framework.
- Enhanced partner countries’ capacity to promote investment and business opportunities to manage municipal waste, industrial emissions and wastewater.
- Strengthened regional coherence and cooperation in approaches to marine pollution and sustainable water management.