SOLiD is a pioneer programme whose ultimate goal is to promote a dynamic, inclusive and reinforced social dialogue via the development of the capacity of Trade Unions and their homologues of Employers’ Associations and civil society organizations and the promotion of a civic and multipartite dialogue between the social partners in three target countries: Tunisia, Jordan and Morocco, in view of the major political changes that the southern Mediterranean region witnessed since 2011.
Countries covered: Jordan, Morocco and Tunisia.
The project’s objectives are:
- The inception of an enabling environment for social dialogue;
- The promotion of a Community of Practice (CoP) via the exchange of best practices and innovative social dialogue models endorsed in the EU-Southern Mediterranean region;
- An enhanced awareness on the economic and social situation in the 3 target countries;
- The assessment of social dialogue institutionalization levers based on an enhanced cooperation between the social partners.
Actions in brief
SOLiD’s main activities implemented are as follows:
- Capacity building workshops: that aim at raising awareness among the social partners on the key role of social dialogue in the region
- Research and analytic studies: A set of effective actions and strategies providing support for the development and the progress throughout the operations.
- Sharing of experiences and exchanges seminars: A critical activity for the mutual understanding and an enriching tool for addressing apparent conflicts of interest
- Thematic discussions: brainstorming on innovative approaches and challenges of social dialogue
- Dialogues with civil society and local authorities: an effective way to inject innovation and new know-how to the project.
- Database and accumulated experience and expertise: an asset for future work on social dialogue in the region
- Communication actions: A pool of support activities for the project including advisory and managements structures, monitoring and evaluation, and the communication plan and visibility actions and material of the activities, the outcomes and results.
- Conferences to enhance the community of practice: promote social dialogue between EU - South social partners and social dialogue institutions
- International Trade Union Confederation - ITUC
- Arab Trade Union Confederation - ATUC
- The Union of Mediterranean Confederation of Enterprises - BUSINESSMED
- Arab NGO Network for Development - ANND
- Italian Union Institute for Cooperation and Development - ISCOS
- Economic, Social and Environmental Council of Morocco - CESE Morocco
- European Network of NGOs - SOLIDAR
- National Labor Council - CNT Belgium
- The Institute South Project - Progetto SUD Italy
- Portugal Industry Association - AIP