The project’s overall objective is to contribute to increasing resilience and reducing the social, economic and environmental costs of natural and man-made disasters in the ENP South region, based on the results of the PPRD South Program and the European Union Civil Protection Mechanism (UCPM).
Countries covered: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia.
The project has two specific objectives:
1) National approaches to disaster management are further developed, based on prevention, mitigation, and preparedness rather than on response, with the involvement of all relevant governmental actors as well as of civil society stakeholders;
2) Intra-regional, and where appropriate regional, co-ordination and co-operation is enhanced, in order to have coordinated responses of countries of the Mediterranean Basin affected by the same disaster; and institutional co-operation between the UCPM and the ENP South partner countries' civil protection agencies is strengthened.
Actions in brief
These objectives can be achieved through the implementation of concrete activities under three pillars:
- Strengthen prevention capacities of the Southern Mediterranean Partner Countries;
- Strengthen operational assistance & response capacities of Southern Mediterranean Partner Countries;
- Support Civil Protection authorities to be better equipped with communication tools to reach out the population on emergency procedures and promote volunteer programmes.