The MEDSTAT IV project provides expertise and technical support to promote the harmonisation of statistics in line with EU and international standards in 6 domains: business register and business, trade and balance of payments, energy, labour market, migration and transport). It follows on the previous phase implemented over the period 2010-2013.
Countries covered: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Libya, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Syria and Tunisia (cooperation with Syria is suspended).
The overall objective of the project is to promote evidence-based decision-making and to foster democratic development by improving the availability, visibility and accessibility of robust, reliable and timely statistical data in the ENP South countries.
Actions in brief
This will be achieved through 5 complementary actions:
- Contribution to the production of better quality data in the priority thematic sectors.
- Support to Working groups through relevant and timely expertise and activities.
- Harmonisation of statistical data in line with European and international standards.
- Raising awareness on statistics for a number of stakeholders, including a more user-friendly dissemination of statistics.
- Implementation of the Statistics Code of Practice (COP) for the Neighbourhood South countries.