ENI SEIS II South Support Mechanism project aims to contribute to the reduction of the marine pollution in the Mediterranean by developing a Shared Environmental Information System (SEIS) supporting the regular production and sharing of quality assessed environmental data, indicators and information.
Countries covered: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia
The general objective is to contribute to reduced marine pollution. The specific objective of the action is to improve the availability and access to relevant environmental information to the benefit of effective and knowledge-based policy-making in the Neighbourhood South region.
Actions in brief
Work is structured around 6 work packages across 4 thematic clusters (water, waste, industrial emissions and cross-cutting issues):
1. In-country support: enhancing the national capacities by addressing particular national needs and contribute to regional coherence.
2. Indicators and Assessments: ensuring regular production of indicators, agreed at regional level under the previous phase of the SEIS project, and relevant indicator-based assessments to inform and monitor progress of the EU-funded Horizon 2020 Initiative and contribute to achieving the objectives of the other work packages.
3. Data and statistics: ensuring timely production and sharing of harmonised, quality assessed statistics and data related to Horizon 2020 thematic priorities.
4. Infrastructure and data management (Common Information system): establishing and maintaining national and regional environmental information systems and data sharing in line with gradual establishment of SEIS.
5. Visibility and communication: ensuring high visibility of the actions implemented and active communication with the key project partners and beyond.
6. Coordination and management: ensuring effective and smooth implementation of the project activities, including project management and administration, as well as regular coordination with relevant partners and initiatives.
Implementing partners : EEA (European Environment Agency), UNEP/MAP (UN Environment Mediterranean Action Plan)Print pdf