The objective of this project is to provide technical assistance to support the transition of Southern Neighbourhood countries towards sustainable, low-carbon and climate-resilient economies. This will be achieved, amongst others, by supporting the formulation and implementation of climate actions (mitigation and adaptation) and sustainable energy policies and strategies (i.e. access to clean energy, energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy) both at national and local levels.
Countries covered: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia.
The project aims at improving climate change governance and mainstreaming climate action at the regional and national levels. At the local level, the project supports the development and implementation of local Sustainable Energy Access and Climate Action Plans (SEACAPs) that allow municipalities to join the Covenant of Mayors.
Climate finance is the third key component of this action: the project also contributes to easing investments by enabling beneficiaries to better access available finance mechanisms, thereby leading to the implementation of sustainable climate actions at national and local levels.
Actions in brief
Work Package 1. Improved climate change governance & mainstreaming climate action
- Develop climate coordination capacity: National Coordination Groups (NCG)
- Mainstreaming climate actions (NDC, NAP, MRV..) into national strategies and policies: National Climate Coordination Strategies
- Promote Awareness Raising & stakeholders’ dialogue into national strategies and policies
Work Package 2: Develop Sustainable local actions (SEACAP)
- Assist local authorities in the design, implement and monitoring of SEACAPs
- Provide Help Desk and develop a website for the Covenant of Mayors-MED; set SEACAP Support Mechanisms in each country
- Raise awareness embedded in local actions
Work Package 3: Formulate solid financing proposals and matching them with financiers
- Improved access to finance: Climate Finance Strategy
- Set pilot replicable projects for financing and support their implementation
- Boost innovative Public-Private Partnerships