The European Endowment for Democracy (EED) is a grant-giving organisation based in Brussels.
EED’s goal is to provide flexible support to democracy activists, complementing other EU and member state democracy support programmes. EED provides context-based, demand driven support based on a principle of fostering democracy and facilitating initiatives of local actors. Its geographic mandate covers the European neighbourhood and beyond.
EED seeks a trainee for a twelve-month traineeship for Grant–making Support (South Region - Arabic language).
The trainee will assist in the EED grant-making contractual, financial and administrative process.
In accordance with the Grants Management office policies and procedures, the Grant-Making Support Trainee shall:
- Assist in preparation of grant agreements, addenda and other standard contractual documentation;
- Assist in the review of financial reports (including detailed checking of invoices and other financial supporting documents) to ensure compliance with EED requirements and draft feedbacks to beneficiaries (mostly in Arabic and English and sometimes French) as well as internal memos;
- Translate brief texts from his/her mother tongue to English and vice-versa;
- Update the database and maintain the archive;
- Assist with other administrative tasks of the Grants team.
Knowledge of grant-making cycle and experience in administrative work and assessment of financial reports strongly preferred. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel necessary. High drive for detail and accuracy. Proficiency in Arabic is required, in addition to English. French is considered an asset.
The contractual relations with the trainee will be regulated by a Convention d'immersion professionnelle (a professional immersion agreement under Belgian Law), which requires all trainees to be less than 30 years old.
Citizenship of an EU Member State or residency in the European Union is preferred, but not mandatory.
The internship is planned for the period of twelve months, starting on 1 September (subject to the formal approval from the Belgian authorities).
The expected level of monthly remuneration is around €1,450 net per month, in addition to meal vouchers and the reimbursement of a monthly subscription to Brussels public transport.
Work place: EED Secretariat, located in the centre of Brussels, Belgium.