The Press Officer post is located in the Political, Press and Information Section and the Head of Political, Press and Information Section is the job holders immediate superior. A number of the tasks and assignments will however be coordinated directly with the Head of Delegation/Deputy Head of Delegation.
Functions and duties
EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION, EVENTS
- Act as Spokesperson for specific Delegation activities and in this context (a) organize press interviews and conferences for Head of Delegation and as needed other Delegation members; (b) organise media events/coverage for visiting Commissioners and other high level officials (b) prepare as needed summaries of the Egyptian press; (c) draw the attention of the Head of Delegation and Head of Section to events and articles requiring immediate attention and/or reaction, involving notably relations with EU or other matters (d) prepare draft press releases, in coordination with Communications Coordinator where needed;
- Propose ways to enhance the favorable visibility, image and understanding in Egypt of the EU and its institutions, and of the EU-Egypt partnership, with support in thematic areas from the Delegation as needed.
- Develop good working relations and contacts with members of the Egyptian and international journalist media based in Cairo, and in line with guidance received, respond to enquiries regarding EU policy, initiatives and actions in Egypt, and supply material and documentation appropriate to this purpose.
- Liaise as needed with state information and press agencies, and with other appropriate media organisations and agencies in Egypt, including ministry spokespersons in the context of visits;
- refer to the Head of Delegation, Deputy Head of Delegation, Head of Section and as needed headquarter services for the 'line to take' on various issues;
- Feed on a daily basis relevant Delegation social media accounts;
- Responsible for other visibility events such as photo competition, seminars, debates, lunches and dinners.
- Work closely with the Operations section communication coordinator, with a view to organizing visibility events linked to projects with a view to maximum effectiveness of the Delegation public information strategy of the Delegation.
- Liaise with press officers and press services of EU Members States;
- Liaise where necessary with headquarters desk officers and Commission officials in developing and presenting a consistent media message.
PRINTING MATERIALS, MEDIA
- Organize the production and publication of Delegation brochures and other media material in Arabic and where needed in English;
- Maintain and enhance the comprehensive data base for use in media activities of the Delegation, and for distribution of Delegation information material;
- Regularly supervise and propose updates the Delegation website
BUDGET, PROCUREMENT, FINANCE, ETC
- Manage/check/follow up on the annual press and information budget provided to the Section under the supervision of the Head of Section;
- Manage the budgets available to the Section for press and information purposes, under the direction of the Head of Section, and consult with the Finance and Contracts Section, so EU rules on budgetary management are respected;
- Make annual budget proposals for press and information activities;
- Assure funds permitted to organize information visits for media personnel to different EU institutions in Belgium and elsewhere; Initiate procurement of goods and services and Initiate, for agreement by hierarchy and in line with applicable rules, payments in the internal accounting system.
- Prepare/Check draft purchase orders, contracts and invoices
- University degree relevant to Journalism and Mass communication, political analysis or any other relevant field, with direct relevance to the job.
- Minimum 8 years of pertinent professional experience in the media communications, reporting and editing field, as journalist or communication expert.
- Familiarity with Egypt’s political and socio-economic circumstances
- Familiarity and ability to use social media networks and other internet based media tools.
- A thorough knowledge of both written and oral English and Arabic and an ability to write clearly and concisely; French is not essential but considered an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of the Egyptian media scene and main actors;
- Good organisation skills with a capacity to prioritise work, as well as interpersonal and team working skills and the ability to adapt to different cultural environments
- Ability to communicate complex information effectively to EGY audiences, knowledge of all EGY media and a strong news sense;
- Some familiarity with EU-Egypt bilateral relations; and with the EU’s overall Communications Strategy in the field of external relations would be an asset;
- Professional standards of reliability, confidentiality and job dedication
- Computer literacy, experience of managing a database and using a web content management system.
- The job requires working after office hours as news urgencies may dictate.