A call for applications has been launched for the EU-funded Migration Media Award for journalists and media houses based on both sides of the Mediterranean. The Award has been set up to recognise journalism excellence in covering migration in the Euro-Mediterranean region. Awarded applicants will receive funding to produce new stories on migration.
In order to participate, journalists need to submit a complete entry via the online application form; only entries with the following five mandatory elements will be considered complete and will be eligible:
- An already published story dealing with migration in the Euro-Mediterranean region with proof of publication in between 1 April 2016 and 31 March 2017. Earlier published stories cannot be accepted.
- A 300 words (max.) presentation of the published story detailing the reason/ newsworthiness for the angle chosen, particularly any difficulties encountered during production and/or other important elements that need to be considered for better understanding and evaluating its production and publication.
- A 300 words (max.) synopsis/pitch for the production of a further story related to migration in the Euro-Mediterranean region; it may or may not include elements of the original (i.e. already published) story dealing with migration.
- A letter of intent from a media outlet to publish a further story which would be funded and produced if winning the award.
- A copyright waiver addressed to the Migration Media Award partners, which also covers the European Union, and the permission to republish a winning entry in parts or in its entirety and in multiple languages.
The deadline for applications is at 11:59 pm on 09 April 2017.
The award competition is a collaboration of the EU-funded projects Euromed Migration IV and the Open Media Hub, in partnership with the European Asylum Support Office and Malta’s Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
Migration Media Award website