The EU NEIGHBOURS east project, in collaboration with ACT LLC, carries out opinion polls in the EU's six Eastern partner countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine) on an annual basis.
According to the 2020 survey:
- 63% of people in the Republic of Moldova trust the European Union, compared to 33% who trust the EAEU.
- 82% of Moldovans are aware of the EU’s financial support, 58% of whom consider the support to be effective.
- 74% of Moldovans believe the relations with the European Union are good.
- 61% of Moldovan citizens have a positive image of the European Union (EU), 29% feel neutral about it and only 9% hold a negative view.
The purpose of the annual surveys is to investigate and understand better the opinion and the level of awareness that the citizens of the EU's Eastern partner countries have about the European Union and the EU cooperation with their country. They cover the following broad topics:
- General perceptions about the EU
- Values associated with the EU
- Assessment of EU relations with the home country
- Awareness of financial support provided by the EU and assessment of its effectiveness
- Sources of information
- Country evaluation and future expectations
The field work for the survey took place between February and March 2020 (before COVID-19 crisis) and was based upon face-to-face interviews among a representative sample of 1,000 people per country.
To find out the results of the Opinion Survey 2020: Regional Overview, please go here.
To find out more about EU-Moldova cooperation, please go here.