The EU NEIGHBOURS east project, in collaboration with ACT LLC, carries out opinion polls in the EU's six Eastern partner countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine) on an annual basis.
According to the 2020 survey:
- 84% of Belarusians have either a positive or a neutral image of the European Union (EU), with 12% holding a negative opinion.
- 54% of Belarusians feel relations with the European Union are good.
- 45% of people in Belarus trust the EU, which is slightly more than those who trust the Eurasian Economic Union (39%).
- 41% of Belarusians acknowledge EU support, 52% of whom consider it effective.
The purpose of the annual surveys is to investigate and understand better the opinion and the level of awareness that the citizens of the EU's Eastern partner countries have about the European Union and the EU cooperation with their country. They cover the following broad topics:
- General perceptions about the EU
- Values associated with the EU
- Assessment of EU relations with the home country
- Awareness of financial support provided by the EU and assessment of its effectiveness
- Sources of information
- Country evaluation and future expectations
The field work for the survey took place between February and March 2020 (before COVID-19 crisis) and was based upon face-to-face interviews among a representative sample of 1,000 people per country.
To find out the results of Opinion Survey 2020: Regional Overview, please go here.
To find out more about EU-Belarus cooperation, please go here.