The EU NEIGHBOURS east project, in collaboration with ACT LLC, carries out opinion polls in the EU's six Eastern Partner countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine) on an annual basis.
According to the 2020 survey:
- 44% of Azerbaijani citizens have a positive image of the European Union (EU) - an increase of 17% when compared to 2016. Only 9% of the population are negative about the EU.
- 30% of Azerbaijanis are aware of the EU’s financial support to the country, 76% of whom felt it was effective.
- 69% of Azerbaijanis, who are aware of the European Union, feel relations with the EU are good.
- The EU is the most trusted international institution, enjoying a 41% level of trust (up 13% since 2018) while the EAEU is trusted by only 26%.
The purpose of the annual surveys is to investigate and understand better the opinion and the level of awareness that the citizens of the EU's Eastern partner countries have about the European Union and the EU cooperation with their country. They cover the following broad topics:
- General perceptions about the EU
- Values associated with the EU
- Assessment of EU relations with the home country
- Awareness of financial support provided by the EU and assessment of its effectiveness
- Sources of information
- Country evaluation and future expectations
The field work for the survey took place between February and March 2020 (before COVID-19 crisis) and was based upon face-to-face interviews among a representative sample of 1,000 people per country.
To find out the results of Opinion Survey 2020: Regional Overview, please go here.
To find out more about EU-Azerbaijan cooperation, please go here.