The EU NEIGHBOURS east project, in collaboration with ACT LLC, carries out opinion polls in the six EU's Eastern partner countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine) on an annual basis.
According to the 2019 survey:
- 89% of Belarusians have either a positive or a neutral image of the European Union (EU), with less than 10% holding a negative opinion.
- 62% of Belarusians feel relations with the European Union are good – a significant rise (+12%) when compared to 2018.
- 51% of people in Belarus trust the EU (a rise of 4% when compared to 2018), which is slightly more than those who trust the Eurasian Economic Union (48%).
- 37% of Belarusians acknowledge EU support, identifying Education (52%) and Culture (48%) as the two principal areas of assistance.
The purpose of the annual surveys is to investigate and understand better the opinion and the level of awareness that the citizens of the EU's Eastern partner countries have about the European Union and the EU cooperation with their country. They cover the following broad topics:
- General perceptions about the EU
- Values associated with the EU
- Assessment of EU relations with the home country
- Awareness of financial support provided by the EU and assessment of its effectiveness
- Sources of information
- Country evaluation and future expectations
To find out the results of Opinion Survey 2019: Regional Overview, please go here.
To find out more about EU-Belarus cooperation, please go here.