The EU NEIGHBOURS east project, in collaboration with ACT LLC, carries out opinion polls in the EU's six Eastern partner countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine) on an annual basis.
According to the 2017 survey:
- Pro-EU feelings have risen in Azerbaijan - 47% of Azerbaijanis have a positive image of the EU.
- 68% of Azerbaijanis feel relations with the European Union are good, well ahead of the regional average of 61%.
- More than half of Azerbaijanis (51%) trust the EU, compared to the United Nations (35%), the Eurasian Economic Union (26%) and NATO (32%).
- 33% of Azerbaijanis are aware of the EU’s financial support to the country, 65% of those felt it was effective (compared to a regional average of 53%).
The purpose of the annual surveys is to investigate and understand better the opinion and the level of awareness that the citizens of the EU's Eastern Partner countries have about the European Union and the EU's cooperation with their country. They cover the following broad topics:
- General perceptions about the EU
- Values associated with the EU
- Assessment of EU relations with the home country
- Awareness of financial support provided by the EU and assessment of its effectiveness
- Sources of information
- Country evaluation and future expectations
The Eastern Partnership regional overview report and factsheets are available here.
To find out more about EU - Azerbaijan cooperation and partnership, go here.