The programme supports the authorities in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine in improving disaster prevention, as well as preparedness and response capacities in case of natural or man-made disasters – thus providing greater overall protection to their populations, environment and infrastructure.
The objective of the programme is to support prevention, preparedness and response to natural and man-made disasters, by:
- Strengthening civil protection capacities in the partner countries;
- Strengthening cooperation between the partner countries, and bringing them closer to the EU Civil Protection Mechanism.
Actions in brief
- Development of an Electronic Regional Risk Atlas, a tool that supports partner countries in assessing risks, as well as providing training in its use;
- Organising exercises simulating cross-border disaster emergencies in order to test and improve coordination between countries and emergency services;
- Training on risk assessment and management;
- Support for awareness campaigns and early warning systems on specific risks, such as earthquakes, landslides, floods and fires;
- Contributing to improvements in national legislation on risk and disaster management;
- Trainings and exchange of information regarding the EU Civil Protection Mechanism.
The project builds on the progress achieved during the first phase of the programme – PPRD East 1 (2010-14).Print pdf