Horizon 2020 is the European Union's framework programme for research and innovation. It provides research and innovation funding for multi-national collaboration projects as well as for individual researchers, and supports SMEs with a special funding instrument.
Armenia, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine are associated to Horizon 2020 and participate in the programme under the same rules as EU Member States. Researchers from Azerbaijan and Belarus are also eligible for funding.
Horizon 2020 seeks to drive sustainable economic growth and create jobs by coupling research and innovation, with an emphasis on excellent science, industrial leadership and tackling societal challenges. The goal is to contribute to the production of world-class science, remove barriers to innovation, and make it easier for the public and private sectors to work together in delivering innovation.
Actions in brief
The Horizon 2020 Work Programme 2018-2020 amounts to an investment of around €30 billion, most of which is implemented through competitive calls for proposals across the following areas:
- Excellent Science
- Industrial Leadership
- Societal Challenges
- Spreading Excellence and Widening Participation
- Science with and for Society
- European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT)
In the EaP region, cooperation opportunities under the different calls will be promoted, while specific attention will be given to:
- H2020 'Widening Participation' priority for the reinforcement of research and innovation capacities in the four countries Associated to H2020 (Armenia, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine), including Twinnings, ERA Chairs, Policy Support Facility, National Contact Point (NCP) training, COST actions (Cooperation in Science and Technology), innovation funding instruments (InnovFin, SME instrument, Fast track to Innovation), PPPs and Joint Technology Initiatives;
- Calls worth almost €200 million targeted at all EaP countries, addressing Resources and Energy Efficiency for the Process Industry (SPIRE).
The four associate countries also have dedicated national portals for Horizon 2020:Print pdf