The programme aims to extend the benefits of the European Union's Digital Single Market to the Eastern Partner states, supporting them in reducing roaming tariffs, developing high-speed broadband to boost economies and expand e-services, harmonising digital frameworks across society in areas ranging from logistics to health, building cyber security, developing skills, and creating more jobs in the digital industry.
The overall objective of the programme is to eliminate existing obstacles and barriers for pan-European online services for citizens, public administrations and businesses, including through the harmonisation of the digital environments among the EaP partner countries and with the EU.
Actions in brief
The programme focuses its support across six key policy areas:
The programme supports efforts to achieve a common roaming space among EaP countries by 2020, to strengthen the independence of National Regulatory Authorities, and to develop coordinated strategies for frequency distribution. The activities include:
- Develop and implement a common approach to roaming pricing in the EaP region;
- Strengthen the organisational and financial independence of National Regulatory Authorities for electronic communications;
- Support a coordinated approach for freeing 700 MHz in the 6 EaP partner countries.
Trust & Security
EU4Digital supports the development of trust services in the digital economy, and cyber-security for improved resilience of critical infrastructure, as essential building blocks for interoperable cross-border eServices in the Eastern Partnership region. The activities include:
- Develop and implement a regional roadmap and national action plans for the mutual recognition of electronic identification in the EaP region;
- Pilot an interoperable cross-border eSignature in the region;
- Develop a regional framework for cross-border eServices;
- Develop a standard set of cyber-security guidelines for the EaP region.
The programme supports trade facilitation and harmonisation among Eastern Partner countries and with the EU, by promoting common frameworks for eCommerce, eCustoms and eLogistics, and working towards Digital Transport Corridors. The activities include:
- Pilot cross-border eTrade components among EaP partner countries and with EU member states;
- Promote networking between eTrade stakeholders in the region;
- Pilot cross-border eCommerce enablers among EaP partner countries and with the EU;
- Pilot mechanisms for information exchange between cross-border customs offices;
- Work towards a pilot for a Digital Multi-modal (maritime and land) Transport Corridor between the Baltic Sea and the Black Sea.
EU4Digital supports reforms and actions to favour the development of ICT research, start-ups&innovation ecosystems across the Eastern Partnership region, drawing from EU experience and best practices. The activities include:
- Support the establishment of a common legislative framework on ICT innovation in the EaP;
- Develop a common training package aimed at policy makers, ICT organisations and businesses;
- Promote networking of innovation ecosystem players;
- Extend Start-up Europe networks and platforms to include all 6 partner countries;
- Implement promotion campaigns.
The programme supports the development of harmonised national frameworks for eHealth, both among EaP partner countries and with the EU. The activities include:
- Develop eHealth harmonisation guidelines and standards for the EaP region;
- Establish a cross-border eHealth platform in the EaP region;
- Involve the region in relevant EU projects, programmes and initiatives.
EU4Digital supports the implementation of digital skills strategies in the Eastern Partnership countries, acting to establish national coalitions for digital jobs and a competence framework for small businesses. The activities include:
- Define a methodology for measuring and forecasting national digital skills gaps;
- Define a common competence framework for SMEs and microbusinesses;
- Create national coalitions for skills and jobs;
- Carry out training seminars and workshops;
- Implement promotion campaigns in partner countries.