The project supports competitiveness and business environment reforms in the Eastern Partnership countries. At country level, it provides support to private sector development, evidence-based policy making and broader business environment reforms. At regional level, it stimulates reform implementation through peer reviews and regional policy dialogue. The project is implemented by the OECD.
Countries covered: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine
The main objective is to support competitiveness and business environment reforms in the Eastern Partnership countries.
Specifically, the project aims to:
- strengthen institutional frameworks and the delivery of government support to the private sector and improve the business environment;
- support the monitoring and evaluation of private sector development policies and improve the production of business statistics;
- support evidence-based policy-making and regional benchmarking;
- stimulate reform implementation, through peer reviews and regional policy dialogue.
Actions in brief
At country level
While tailoring support to each country's needs, the project’s main activities include:
- Assisting governments in preparing strategies and action plans and proposing indicators to assess results;
- Strengthening the policy making process by introducing public-private stakeholder processes;
- Assisting governments in monitoring progress in the implementation of competitiveness reforms and targeted policy roadmaps;
- Assisting governments in the production, analysis and dissemination of harmonised business statistics.
At regional level
Main activities include to:
- Revise the SBA (Small Business Act) assessment methodology;
- Organise one private sector focus group meeting per country and three SBA stakeholder workshops per country to facilitate the SBA assessment process;
- Carry out government self-assessment and OECD assessment of the SBA in six countries;
- Publish regional report;
- Organise three regional meetings of the OECD Eurasia Competitiveness Roundtable;
- Carry out six peer reviews (2017: Armenia, 2018: Azerbaijan, Georgia, 2019: Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine).