Improves water quality in the trans-boundary river basins of the wider Black Sea region and Belarus
Countries covered: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine
The overall objective of the project is to improve water quality in the trans-boundary river basins of the wider Black Sea region and Belarus. More specifically, it aims to improve the availability and quality of data on the ecological, chemical, and hydro-morphological status of trans-boundary river basins including groundwater, as well as contributing to the development of River Basin Management Plans for selected river basins and sub-river basins, according to the requirements of the EU’s Water Framework Directive (WFD).
Actions in brief
Increases capacity for Water Framework Directive (WFD)compliance monitoring:
- Assesses current data and assessment tools availability;
- Sets up WFD-compliant monitoring programmes;
- Determines threshold values for classifying different waterbody types;
- Sets up training programmes on monitoring and laboratoryQA/QC (quality assurance/quality control);
- Increases the capacities of national authorities in the hydrobiological, chemical and hydromorphological monitoring of water quality (including groundwater).
- Ensures that pilot basins are formally accepted;
- Maps and characterises river basin districts;
- Defines and classifies water bodies according to the WFDtargets;
- Sets targets and develops programmes of measures forthose not at a good level;
- Increases technical capacities through the developmentand implementation of RBMPs for selected rivers;
- Helps to ensure that measures are accepted by countries.