The project supports Azerbaijan and Georgia in securing their borders and facilitating the legal passing of persons and goods at the Red Bridge Border Crossing Point, providing common training on sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) controls, as well as developing the necessary infrastructure and equipment on both sides.
The overall objective of the project is to facilitate the movement of persons and goods across the border between Georgia and Azerbaijan, while maintaining security, with a key focus on sanitary and phytosanitary measures.
Specifically, the project aims to:
- Develop closer co-operation among the Georgian Revenue Service and the Azerbaijani State Customs Committee, especially in the area of sanitary and phytosanitary control;
- Facilitate trade between Georgia and Azerbaijan.
Actions in brief
- Joint Training in EU SPS border check norms for key Azerbaijani and Georgian personnel.
- Infrastructure and equipment support to the Azerbaijani State Customs Committee to facilitate movement and increase security at the Red Bridge, including:
- Completion of a fence around the customs area on the Azerbaijan side to ensure that goods to be cleared are under constant control of the authorities;
- Procurement of EU standard laboratory sampling equipment permitting Azerbaijani officials to collect and store SPS samples to be verified in central laboratories.
- Infrastructure and equipment support to the Georgian Revenue Service to facilitate movement and increase security at the Red Bridge, including:
- Construction of a storage room where goods under control from SPS inspectors can be stored before transport to the main laboratory in Tbilisi;
- Procurement of equipment for the storage room in line with EU standards.