Supports partner countries so that they are better equipped for greenhouse gas emission reductions and better prepared to deal with the impacts of climate change.
Countries covered: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine, Russia
The overall objective of the progamme is to support the ENP East countries and Russia so that they are better equipped for greenhouse-gas emission reductions and better prepared to deal with climate change impacts. More specifically, the programme aims to foster improved climate change policies, strategies and market mechanisms more in line with the EU acquis in the partner countries, by supporting regionalcooperation and improving access to information regarding EU climate change policies/acquis.
Actions in brief
- Drafts briefings on climate change; distributes information material and provides expertise on climate change topics and relevant EU acquis; organises workshops, holds study visits and runs a Russian and English language internet site;
- Responds to ad hoc requests for targeted technical assistance or information;
- Organises training sessions on drafting and developing NAMAs (Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Action), NAPAs(National Adaptation Programme of Action) and Low Carbon Development Strategies;
- Provides expertise and training on Land Use, Land Use Change and Forestry (LULUCF) and agriculture and forestry sector vulnerabilities;
- Supports public authorities in designing and implementing domestic emission trading schemes;
- Finances pilot projects (e.g. ‘Strengthening forest and permafrost management in the Russian Komi Republic’, ‘Peatland management in Russia, Belarus and Ukraine’, and ‘Sustainable forest and pasture management in the southern Caucasus’) relating to ecosystems-based approaches to climate change to demonstrate the relevance of nature management techniques for climate mitigation and adaptation;
- Conducts capacity building and supports activities to assist the pilot projects and share their results.